Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMF) has recently been gaining a lot of attention in the US. PEMF was approved by the FDA in 1979 specifically for the healing of non-union fractures. This came after a Columbia University study, which was encouraged by NASA. NASA is interested in PEMF for a treatment for its astronauts space-induced bone conditions.
PEMF today is most used in orthopedics in the USA. It can accelerate fracture healing and can be applied through casts, bandages, etc.
PEMF is a non-invasive, painless treatment. Indications for treatment include:
- Non-union fracture
- Delayed bone healing and failed arthroses
- Avascular necrosis of the hip
- Legg-Calve-Perthes disease
- Degenerative spine disease
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Soft-tissue damage
- Chronic pain conditions